- This event has passed.
The Relationship Checkup: Support for Military Couples
Wed December 8, 2021: 11:00 am-12:30 pm ESTFree
About This Webinar:
(webinar 2 of 5 in the military couple relationship series)
The Relationship Checkup™ is based on 20 years of federally funded clinical research and has been thoroughly empirically supported for use in both civilian and military populations and across the full range of diverse couples and families. The Checkup is a powerful tool used by Military and Family Counseling Program to provide couples with the best available ongoing relationship support helping couples heal, strengthen, and maintain their relationship health.
- Appraise the importance of relationship health to overall health.
- Differentiate prevention versus tertiary relationship intervention.
- Identify the need for early intervention and preventative relationship healthcare.
- Summarize the components of a Relationship Checkup.
- Describe the main findings from the Relationship Checkup research.
- Identify military installations where the Relationship Checkup is being used by the Military and Family Life Counseling program.
Dr. James Cordova is a Professor of Psychology at Clark University and the Director of the Relationship Checkup Program in Worcester, Massachusetts. Dr. Cordova is a leading figure in the field of Couples Research and Therapy. He is the developer of The Relationship Checkup™, a preventative relationship healthcare intervention designed to prevent relationship deterioration through the relationship health equivalent of the annual physical health checkup.
Kelly Smith is a clinical social worker who serves as a program analyst for the Department of Defense, Military Community and Family Policy (MC&FP).
In her role on the Outreach and Engagement team for the Military OneSource, the Military and Family Life Counseling (MFLC) program, and the Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program, where she is responsible for program communications, outreach activities, and the non-medical counseling relationship campaign. Kelly continues to have a passion for reducing barriers to help-seeking and the study of organizational psychology.
Ms. Smith is a wife, mother of two small children, and proud daughter of retired Airman and sister of a Marine.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit and Certificate of Completion
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
MFLN Family Transitions has applied and received approval for the following Continuing Education (CE) credits:
- Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: Seeking programming approval for 1.5 CE credits for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist from the UT Austin Steve Hicks School of Social Work.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs): Seeking approval for 1.5 Contact Hours from the National Council on Family Relations to CFLE’s
- Certificate of completion will also be available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
This webinar is part of the A Close Look at Relationships: Supporting Military Couples series, which shares research on the impact of military life on families, as well as tools and resources for service professionals to assist military couples and families in strengthening relationships.